The key to the success of your online store doesn’t solely rely on having great products, a secure payment gateway and speedy delivery services. Without a solid marketing strategy and regular site traffic, none of these other things really matter. Fortunately, effective marketing needn’t necessarily cost an arm and a leg, and also doesn’t have to take up too much time. Here are some tried-and-tested marketing techniques for promoting products and boosting sales for your online shop.
Firstly, you need to create a newsletter signup feature on your website to make it easy for customers to be contacted about any new products and promotions. You can also give customers the option to opt in for newsletter correspondence when they are signing up to create a shopping cart.
- Send out your newsletters on a bi-weekly or monthly basis, so as not to spam your customers.
- Ensure that the copy in your newsletter is succinct, to-the-point and informative.
- Include imagery of your products and hyperlink the images and text in your newsletter directly to your specific product pages.
- Be sure to send out a newsletter when you have a big sale or promotion, giving your customers the option to immediately go and purchase the products. Use phrases like ‘limited stock’ and ‘sale ends at 8pm on Sunday, 18 October.’
Social media has become not only popular, but an accepted norm - just like checking the news in the morning. Just as you go and browse Facebook and Twitter a few times a day, so does your client base.
- Create a social media strategy, asking yourself the following questions: what message do you want to put across, who are you targeting and how often?
- Find out the most effective style of communication for each social media platform and use this knowledge to help you write out your planned posts.
- Highlight specials and promotions on your social media pages.
- Post regularly, such as once a day, so that you are always front of mind.
- Consider investing in some advertising spend for promoted posts on Facebook and Twitter to gain more followers and promote specials.
Start a blog:
Start a well-written, high-quality blog on your website. If you are selling fashion products, write blog pieces about what’s ‘in’ this season, how to wear a certain type of pants, dressing up for an interview and so on. Always include a link to post-relevant products in your blog.
Ensure that you share your blog posts on social media to gain readers. A good blog will positively influence your reputation and draw more people to your online store.
These are just a few tips for promoting your online store, as well as for boosting the number of visitors and, hopefully, the number of sales. As with your business strategy and all other elements of owning your own business, it is pertinent to put some time into your marketing strategy, your brand, tone of voice and who you want to be communicating with. Don’t be afraid to make an effort to advertise your business offline too, with flyers, events and coupons.
Now that you have some ideas for promoting your website, all that’s left is to make sure that you have great photography of your products, a well-oiled shopping cart functionality and a safe, secure payment solution. For help with the latter, contact PayU.