Social media has moved far beyond personal interactions between friends and family members who are spread far (and sometimes not-so-far) and wide. It is now a platform for anyone to be heard. Brands can engage with their customers, and people can give their feedback and experiences on various products. The age of sharing information is fast consuming the stagnancy of traditional media.
It is due to the engagement opportunities and the ability to receive feedback on customer experiences, and build a brand personality and reputation that many businesses are turning towards social media to promote their products and services. For the most part, social media can be an extremely affordable and effective way to promote your business – and an e-Commerce store is not exempt from these perks. Here’s how to use social media to effectively promote your online store:
Create a Strategy:
Sit down with as many people in your company as you can. Get all heads together around a table so that you can get all kinds of ideas thrown into the mix. What do you want to talk about? Who are you talking to? Take the following tips into account when creating your strategy:
- Market research: Find out who your clients are by doing surveys on your social media platforms, reading through feedback on your website when customers write reviews and having a look at any Google statistics relating to the people who are visiting your website.
- Themes: Will you be posting related to #MondayMotivation or #ThrowBackThursday type of trends? You can also have weekly themes such as make-up tutorials every day for a week if you sell beauty products on your site, and ‘look of the day’ if you sell clothes. Take note of special occasions and public holidays throughout the month so you can post something relevant.
- Channels: Which social media channels will you be using? Facebook and Twitter are the most popular contenders, and it is better to focus your efforts properly into fewer channels than to have less time to put into more channels. Also take your brand into account – if you have lots of aesthetically pleasing products, such as clothes, shoes, handbags or interior décor – Pinterest could also work well for you. If your target market are mostly older people who don’t engage on social media too often, steer away from Twitter and stick to Facebook where your demographic is more likely to be engaging with their friends and family.
Direct Product Marketing:
Social media is a great way to market your products. You can post a great, clear picture of the product, its price, whether it’s on special or not and ask for feedback from your customers. However try not to spam your clients and post only product images and posts or your purely sales-related posts could become tiresome. Remember that social media is a social, interactive and communicative method of marketing and should not be a purely one-sided conversation. If you post product images, ask your audience questions. For example, if it is an item of clothing you can ask ‘what would you pair this blouse with?’ If it is a kitchen gadget you can ask your followers for their best cooking tips related to the gadget.
Due to the massive popularity of social media sites, advertising your website on these platforms is bound to get you more traffic. Promoted posts on Twitter and Facebook will work well in gaining awareness of sales, specials and product launches.
- Ask your customers to share pictures on your Facebook page of them enjoying products they have purchased from your website. This builds trust for potential customers and encourages engagement.
- Respond to each and every comment and post on your wall.
- Create polls and ask questions about your services, what customers would like to see more of, and their experiences with your products.
- Follow all your customers back, as well as influential people in the industry related to your business.
- Tweet interesting facts about your products and little tips on how to use them effectively.
- Retweet positive customer experiences.
- Tweet tips on how to use your products and services.
With this advice, you will be able to use social media to effectively promote your online store without spending a fortune on marketing. All that’s left to do is to ensure that your website has stellar products, user-friendly functionality and a safe, secure payment gateway. We can help you with a trusted payment system. Contact us today.